If weeds are left unchecked they can quickly take over your lawn or garden and grow into a thick tall bush in just a few weeks. While digging or hand pulling can help to control weeds at the initial stages, however, it can be a daunting task if they have invaded your entire lawn. The best solution is to use a mower for tall weeds to cut the weeds into a more manageable height.
Table for the best mower for tall weeds
Check on Amazon
This is a well built, sturdy mower that comes with a powerful Kawasaki hydrostatic engine. This zero-turn mower will come in handy when you want to mow tall grass or weeds. Its heavy-duty steel frame and its cast-iron lining on the mower’s cylinder enhances its durability. Its 23 HP V-twin engine is powerful enough to do a good job of cutting the tall weeds and grass and also plenty of power to climb hills at a 15-degree angle. Even if the mower is running at a slow speed, you still get good torque power for a great cut. The high-back padded seat with armrests ensures that you’re comfortable while mowing and also makes sure you don’t have back problems after spending hours on your mower. This mower comes with 3 different blades with 52 inches of 11-gauge steel to ensure that you get an excellent cut every time. The 13 different height adjustment levels have a range of between 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches for your precise cut.
- 23 HP V-twin engine
- 3 different blades
- 52-inch 11-gauge steel
- 13 height adjustment positions
- Very comfortable seat with armrest
- Can navigate through all terrains
- Simple controls to use
- Highly durable
- A bit expensive
- Replacement parts may not be locally available
This is a gas-powered mower that can mow on your lawn with rocks and small objects. It comes with a roto-stop safety feature that automatically stops the blade from mowing by disengaging from the engine without shutting down the engine. This is a clutch mechanism that you control with your hand when you’re riding over rocky terrain or areas for decoration purposes on your lawn. It has a built-in speed control that is self-propelled that might take some getting used to. The mower has a twin blade stacked together to cut finer grass clippings and tall weeds which is good for mulching or bag collection. You can also choose from the different height settings so you can achieve the best height for your lawn. The 21-inch deck is low enough to achieve excellent suction and cutting results.
- 21-inch cutting blade
- Roto-stop safety option
- Gas-powered engine
- Twin blades
- Has great suction
- It’s a quiet mower although it’s gas-powered
- Wet grass doesn’t clump when mowing tall thick grass
- Very easy to handle
- Has a long body that makes maneuvering a bit difficult at corners
- The speed controls need practice
This is a walk-behind battery-powered mower that can handle thick long grass and weeds but can drain the battery faster. However, you can have a spare battery on hand so you can continue mowing and recharge the drained battery. A cordless mower has a sensor that allows the electric motor to run at a power-saving speed. It has a 20 inch wide cutting deck that will cut more grass and weeds easily. It’s easy to maneuver and its dual blades provide a superior quality cut with mulching and bagging capabilities. The Smart cut technology allows the mower to adjust the runtime depending on the thickness of the weeds or grass and you can choose from the 5 height adjustment levels the get your desired cut. The 10 inch rear and 7-inch front wheels make it easy to maneuver the mower around your lawn while mowing.
- 20 inch wide cutting deck
- Powerful 5 Ah batteries
- 5 height adjustment levels
- Dual blades
- Smart cut technology
- Mulching and bagging options
- Uses the Smart cut technology to achieve a great cut
- Has 5 different cutting height levels
- The mower is super light
- Very easy to maneuver
- If the grass or weeds are very thick, it will drain the batteries faster
- The twin blades sometimes leave some spots uncut
This is a battery-powered self-propelled mower that uses a 48 V lithium battery to operate. It can mow thick grass or weeds on slight inclines and slopes and you can easily set your mowing speed with the self-propelled drive system with just the push of a button. You can choose your preferred cutting height from the 7 height adjustment options available. The mower operates quietly and it has a runtime of 60 minutes so you can complete mowing your lawn with ease. It can cover a wider area with its 20 inch wide cutting deck and it also comes with a mulch bag and a rear bag grass catcher to help you in disposing of the cut weeds. There’s also a side discharge that will spit the clippings on the side as you mow. You can fold this mower upward on its back wheels to store in the corner if you have limited space in your garage or shed.
- 48V 5.0 lithium battery
- 20-inch cutting deck
- 7 height adjustment levels
- 60 minutes runtime
- Self-propelled drive system
- Vertical storage
- It cut tall weeds and thick grass with ease
- Easy to start and runs quietly
- The self-propelled system makes it easier to mow
- Comes with a safety system
- You need an extra battery to mow a bigger lawn
- Battery life is shorter when cutting thick grass
This is a front-engine riding mower that can mow tall grass and weeds with great precision and accuracy. It’s an impressive tractor mower that has a smooth hydrostatic transmission instead of shift gears. This rear-wheel driven tractor will cut tall grass on a slightly uneven surface with ease thanks to its powerful 18 HP OHV engine that will ensure a smooth and simple operation that doesn’t need shifting, just pushing the pedal. It has a 42-inch cutting deck that is wide enough to mow your lawn without repeating the same spot and a 16-inch turning radius that is easy to maneuver around obstacles on your lawn. It comes with an adjustable seat to enhance your comfort and a comfort grip steering that provides enough cushioning and support when mowing. This mower has a fender-mounted lever and a cruise control button that will automatically maintain the ideal speed and help you focus on steering the mower.
- 18 HP OHV engine
- 42-inch cutting deck
- 16-inch turning radius
- Cushioned grip steering
- Hydrostatic transmission
- The adjustable seat makes it easy to operate
- It comes with built-in headlights for better mowing at dawn or night
- Does a great job on uneven ground
- You can mow in reverse
- The engine isn’t powerful enough
- It’s expensive
This zero turn mower can be used to mow both small and medium-sized lawns with great ease. It has a solid construction and design that will ensure it lasts for a long time. It runs on a 19 HP Kohler 6000 series engine that can deliver excellent performance. It has a 34 inch wide cutting deck made with steel to protect from heat impact and corrosion and you can raise or lower it to cut thick grass and tall weeds. You can easily navigate through tight spots and around trees and bushes on your lawn and its push and pull drive system and built-in brake system makes it safe to use your mower. This mower has small front wheels that can get suck and make small depressions on your wet lawn which means it’s better suited for flat, even ground. The clippings can be discharged on the side or you can attach the collection bag or choose the mulching option. It has an 18-inch high seat that adds to your comfort and its large tank ensures that you can mow a big area without having to refuel in between your mowing session.
- 19 HP Kohler 6000 series engine
- 34 inch wide cutting deck
- 18-inch high seat
- 5 gallons fuel tank
- Side discharge, mulching, or bagging options
- Very well built
- Very effective in giving you a great cut
- Runs smoothly
- Very easy to find replacement parts
- The front wheels can make impressions on your lawn
This is a powerful riding mower that runs on a 382cc OHV auto choke engine that can clock speeds of up to 4.25 mph with a 6-speed transmission that is powerful enough to handle small hills and slopes with ease. Its 30-inch wide cutting deck will allow you to easily maneuver around your lawn and its 18-inch turning radius and its manual power take-off allow for easy and fast blade engagement. The adjustable mid-back seat ensures you’re comfortable throughout your mowing session and the 13-inch soft-touch steering wheel provides a comfortable grip. This mower comes with 5 height adjustable levels to achieve your desired cut. It will easily mow thick, tall grass or weeds to your acceptable height. You can adjust the comfort of your seat and back support while the 16 inch soft rear wheels ensure you have a smooth bump-free ride.
- 382cc OHV auto choke engine
- 6-speed transmission
- 30-inch cutting deck
- 18-inch turning radius
- 5 height adjustment levels
- 13-inch soft grip steering wheel
- Adjustable seat
- A small mower that doesn’t need much space for storage
- Can maneuver well around tight spots
- Comes with a 2-year warranty and extensive coverage
- Adjustable seat to suit your comfort
- Doesn’t come with a grass catcher
- You’ll need to change the oil frequently and carefully
This rear engine mower can run for 2 hours with a fully charged battery, so you can use it to mow your lawn without having to stop to recharge the battery. This is a great mower you can use on steep lawns and will also do well on hilly lawns. This mower has a 38-inch cutting deck with 2 blades and 12 height adjustment levels to ensure that you achieve your desire cut. It also comes equipped with LED headlights that you can charge with a USB so you can mow your lawn very early in the morning or at night and cruiser control features that will make mowing more effective and efficient. It’s an extremely quiet mower so whatever time you decide to mow your lawn, you won’t be disturbing your neighbors. Each blade is powered by its own motor which ensures that the mower doesn’t lose speed when mowing thick and tall grass or weeds.
- 100 Ah lead-acid batteries
- 38-inch cutting deck
- LED headlights
- 2 blade deck with separate motors
- 12 height adjustment levels
- Silent operation
- Doesn’t require any maintenance
- The blade motors have good torque
- Easy to use and cut grass
- Clean and quiet operation
- The ride is a bit bumpy even on flat ground
- The blades are thin and can easily break
This is a very small lawn mower that can work as a weed whacker with a sturdy plastic base with wheels just like a mower deck. You can use it to mow your lawn like you would a normal lawn mower. It’s powered by a powerful lithium battery and comes with 2 batteries making it easier to mow, edge, and weed whack. This is a great mower for small gardens and lawns and you can use the batteries with other compatible tools. This 3-in-1 mower comes with 3 options that will help keep your small lawn looking pretty. It has a foot pedal release that allows you to quickly remove and insert the edger as you move from mowing to edging or trimming. The mower deck also has 2 height adjustment options that help to raise or lower all four wheels. The 12-inch edger has a gear-driven transmission that will keep the speed constant so that the mower doesn’t bog down when trimming your lawn. This mower has a lightweight ergonomic design with an adjustable handle and height to ensure you’re comfortable using it.
- 3-in-1 edger and mower
- 2 height adjustments
- Foot pedal release
- Adjustable handle
- Auto feed system
- Lightweight and easy to use
- The perfect mower for a small lawn
- It converts easily from trimmer to mower and back
- Does a very good job
- You can easily push it uphill
- The mower wheels often flatten the grass before you can cut
- Not recommended for cutting thick grass or weeds
How to mow tall weeds using a riding mower
Tall weeds can be a bigger problem than having tall grass, especially when mowing because of the weed’s strength and density. It’s better to cut the weeds before they flower and spread their weeds to other areas. A riding mower can help deal with overgrown weeds and use the weed clippings as compost, but you need to do some minor adjustments to the deck and clutch speed when cutting high weeds.
- Collect any stones, branches, large twigs, and other debris hidden in the tall weeds.
- Start your mower and release its parking brake, set the highest mower deck level by pressing the button on the lift lever and pull the lever until it’s upright.
- Put the transmission in drive and ride the mower where you need to start mowing. Put the clutch attachment on the ‘on’ position or the image of the spinning blades to engage the mower blades.
- If you experience blade resistance frequently, mow half paths of weeds on the path you want to cut after turning. Although it takes longer, it’s faster than stopping, reversing, and restarting every time.
- Stop the mower to empty the collection bag into your compost pit. Wait for 2 days after mowing before continuing and clean your mower blades.
- Return to mow and set the mower deck to the next lowest level, depending on your mower model, it could be the middle of the lowest level. Set the clutch on slow and mow the same area as before, removing the clippings.
If you’re dealing with overgrown weeds, you must know how to cut tall weeds. Fortunately, your work is made fairly easy with the help of the best mower for cutting tall weeds. In a few days, you can take back control of your lawn.